Voodoo Bacon and Gruyere Cheese Cauliflower Gratin
- 100 grams unsalted butter
- 100 grams plain flour
- 500 ml milk
- 180 grams Gruyere cheese (grated)
- 150 grams Voodoo Bacon (diced)
- 650 grams cauliflower (stem and leaves removed, cut into bite size florets
- 1 bunch chives (sliced into small rings)
- salt to taste
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets and cook until tender but not mushy or falling apart. Pour into a strainer reserving the cauliflower and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Let strain for at least 15 minutes to thoroughly remove all of the water. Reserve.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter and then add the flour. Cook this on medium heat for 15 minutes, whisking constantly. Do not let it stick to the bottom of the pan or turn brown. This is done by whisking constantly. If needed lower the heat and cook it longer.
- Add the milk and bring this to a boil, still whisking constantly. It will thicken quickly.
- Add the shredded cheese and remove from the heat. Using a wooden spoon stir until the cheese has melted and there are no lumps. Add a small pinch of salt. Reserve.
- In a sauté pan on medium heat add the diced Voodoo Bacon and cook until it is uniformly brown and crispy.
- In a bowl, mix the bacon and its fat, the dry cauliflower and the cheese sauce. When this is mixed well put everything in an oven proof dish.
- Top with the chives and bake at 165 degrees for 20 minutes or until the top is a beautiful brown and it is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let this cool for 10 minutes. Scoop and enjoy!!
All orders over $40 (ex shipping) receive a FREE 300g pack of Diced Bacon! 🐖🐖🐖😃